We each hope that we will be graceful accepting the gentle slide towards wizened age-dom. The sags, lines and scars on our bodies are placeholders to remind us of the events that gave us this wisdom and to help keep our vanity in check. Putting a positive spin on it, it’s those memories of languid days spent in the sun, of weight gained then weight lost, of a stupendous flaming dish I prepared that left a burn on my hand that the mars remind us of. It was worth it, wasn’t it? Lessons learned or moments of bliss added to our memory bank?
And while most of you my readers would never go under the knife to remove those memories we still may want to soften them to be the best we can be. This is about health, it’s about the sacred rituals of caring self-love, it’s about not losing what we have gained.
Our jowls and their ever-increasing tendency to droop downward with time is a topic of great concern for all of us; it can be hard to see ourselves change and start looking like our older mothers or fathers (right?!!!). Millions are made throwing products at us with great promises to reverse this process and many plastic surgeons are trained in marketing to make us feel bad about ourselves then “sell us” their fixes. Most of it is bogus or with artificial results. So you can make your own educated choices, here is the science of it.
The face sags for two reasons:
- The under-lying muscles in the face and neck area become slack which in turn do not support the over-lying tissue. They let the face droop and fold in on itself. If you have ever seen an individual who has facial palsy you get the idea; muscles stop working, face sags.
- The nutrients and natural lipids in the skin cells deplete allowing the webbing [elastin and collagen fibers] that holds it together to break down and the surface cells to dehydrate and flatten.
So, scientifically speaking, if we can re-educate the muscles to tighten, reintroduce nutrients to stimulate & firm the structure of the skin while hydrating to smooth it, a HUGE difference can be made. I practice it, I see it. Its synergy…one method supports the other for a marked improvement.
Here are the principles to abide by. Start when you are young and you may never really see the huge sag; start when you are already wizened and you will firm, soften and fight further slippage.
DO…nourish the skin!
- Don’t let your skin dry out. Letting the skin cells dehydrate depletes their ability to hold onto their remaining nutrients that in turn keep the skin plump and firm. Wash and moisturize your face and neck every night and every morning, wear heavier cremes when exposed to cold temperatures, wear wetting serums when exposed to hot temperatures. Drink water throughout the day every day. Eat lots of produce.
- Wear cremes and serums that have scientific ingredients proven to help firm the skin. You have been asking me to formulate something specifically targeting this. I have been slow doing so because I did not want to make false promises but I have finally have figured out a combination of ingredients that I see make a difference. See it here… Compare this more “fully loaded”, holistic creme compounded with essential oils to other famous brands MD brands.
- SMILE AND LAUGH a lot – it tightens the face (frowning causes sagging).
- Once a day pretend you are a kid again and spend a few minutes singing the refrain from Old MacDonald Had a Farm; ee i ee i o. Feel the face tighten??
- Let me exercise your face for you during my invigorating Age Lift Facial where I introduce Micro-current to the muscles to stimulate and tighten them followed by my feel-good vitamin C sculpting massage. Recently when Beth had her facial said basically said, OMG!
- Hit the floor and work your pectoral muscles to tighten the neck and chin area.
My lovely friend and client Christine Cook from POSITIVE ENERGY FITNESS AND HEALTH in Concord, NH has prepared this instructional exercise video for us. Thank you Christine! www.positive-energy.co
Above all else, enjoy your life!! A happy outlook lifts the face automatically and simultaneously lifts your spirits!
Please contact me directly if you have questions about your skin; Jane Balshaw email@example.com 603-491-7305