What a better way to kick off the warm weather season then with a back yard party! Thank you to Danna and Bill and their hand-crafted mud oven for a day of fun and friendship.
They made the mud oven a couple years ago over a pile of rocks from their property and a brick floor, scavenging local mud that was mixed with straw then puttied into formation. Same technique as the antique adobe structures that I grew up with in California.As guests we were charged with bringing toppings…
Some of the favorite topping combinations were…
- red sauce, mozzarella cheese, greek olives, roasted red peppers
- white sauce, parmesan cheese, caramelized onions, sundried tomato pesto
- red sauce, feta cheese, yellow tomatoes, basil pesto, fresh basil
- red sauce, mozzarella cheese, pecorino cheese, plus another exotic one ???
- classic combination with red sauce, mozzarella cheese and hand chunked salami
- plus countless other combinations…
The most unusual combination was the smoked salmon pizza which required grilling the pizza with a drizzle of olive oil first then, when cooked, spread with a mixture of sour cream and dill that was scattered with the smoked salmon and capers. This was a hit!Here is Danna’s pizza dough recipe: Thank you Danna and Bill!
Disclaimer: [to Bill who is a mega-professional photographer!] all photos within were shot with my humble IPhone.
4 thoughts on “Back yard pizza and friends”
Sure was Sue! Ah New England!
Looks yummy and like such fun!! 🙂
Sure was both!